The Fifth Healthy Day of Christmas: Mocktails!
Photo: Move Nourish Love
For most of us, alcohol is a central part of the holidays. Rum and eggnog, mulled wine and champagne on New Year’s Eve make special cameos, and the season is just generally filled with parties and merry-making.
Don’t get me wrong: I enjoy a glass of delicious red wine as much as the next girl. But I also know that excess alcohol through the holidays can increase the stress of the season and be really hard on our bodies.
Remember on day one of the Twelve Healthy Days of Christmas, when I explained the importance of moderation at this time of year? This goes double for alcohol. Take a moment to savour a particularly good holiday drink here and there, and try some of these mock-tails, courtesy of Move Nourish Believe, in place of drinking at even just half of the parties you attend this year.
These recipes are just as tasty as their alcoholic cousins, and you’ll be amazed how much better you feel the next day – and in January!
- 2 frozen organic ripe bananas
- 1 cup fresh pineapple chunks (frozen will work)
- 1 cup no-sugar-added organic pineapple juice
- 1/2 can organic coconut milk, frozen into cubes
- Coconut flakes for garnish
- Fresh pineapple wedges for garnish
Add al of the ingredients except the coconut flakes and pineapple wedges to your blender.
Blend until smooth and creamy.
Pour into a glass & top with coconut flakes and garnish with pineapple wedge.
Iced Green Tea Mojito
- 1 tbsp fresh lime juice
- Large spearmint leaves, plus more for garnish
- Baby arugula leaves
- 2 tsp natural sweetener (try maple syrup or stevia)
- 1/2 cup brewed green tea, chilled
Muggle the lime juice, mint, arugula and sweetener together in a tall mason jar until the leaves bruise lightly and the flavours release.
Add ice until glass is about 3/4 full and then pour in green tea.
Stir well and garnish with mint.
Watermelon Mint Refresher
- 4 cups watermelon, cup in chunks, seeds removed
- 2 tbsp lime juice
- Rock salt to taste
- 600 ml sparkling water
- Mint leaves to garnish
- Crushed ice
Blend all ingredients & serve cold